Name
    Daenan

Thumbs up Internet Crimes Division FBI

This is from a while ago, yet something reminded me of it.

www.ic3.gov/

The Internet Crimes Division of the FBI handles crimes that take place via the internet. Many of us put ourselves at risk for such crimes during online monetary/goods transactions via ebay, dsmtrader, dsmtalk, etc.

Personally, I was looking for a DSMLink and found someone who was willing to trade for some parts that I had available (sm 16g, exh mani, BOV, piping). This individual and I agreed to trade my stock turbo parts + some $$$ for the DSMlink & ecu setup. I sent out my parts as well as paypalled the money, keeping tabs on everything I did. Bottom line is that I waited over a month after UPS verified a signed delivery of the goods, and had still not heard anything from the other party. After multiple emails with no response, I realized I had been scammed. I did some gumshoeing myself, using information that I knew in order to gain some additional personal information about this kid. Then I wrote to the above link (Internet Crimes) as well as a local PD informing them of everything that had happened as well as attached documentation of UPS tracking records, emails, and paypal reciepts. The local PD contacted (via email) me but said that it was out of their hands. However, the FBI actually assigned an individual to handle my case (not a high $$$ case, maybe $600). He took the information I supplied him with (name, address, phone number) and really kept after this kid. The detective called me repeated times asking about what had happened and whether or not I had heard anything. After a few weeks, I recieved an email from the seller, telling me that he was sending the DSMlink out ASAP. He also said that I needed to tell the detective to stop contacting him. I spoke with the detective after I recieved the DSMLink only to find out that he had been calling and sending mail to this kids house and eventually got in contact with his mother, who made the little bastard sack up and send my DSMlink out.

I thought I had been had, as paypal wouldn't have done a thing. These guys really impressed me by pursuing my case. So anyone that may be in a similiar situation, gather your information and don't hesitate to file a complaint with them, as you will be heard.

A legend in my own mind!! lookinfor400hp's Avatar
    Name
    Daniel Parsons
    Quote Originally Posted by Daenan

I thought I had been had, as paypal wouldn't have done a thing. These guys really impressed me by pursuing my case. So anyone that may be in a similiar situation, gather your information and don't hesitate to file a complaint with them, as you will be heard.

Its allways good to hear of something working out for the better once in a while in this world of internet scammers.

Name
    Stacy
    Wow, I'm really impressed. I've gotten scammed a few times and had to eat $$$ before. It sucks.
    10.183@140.27 FULL Street Talon w/PS AND FULL EXHAUST.
    www.dsmregistry.com/5

Name
    Stephen R. Concannon JR
    I am going to file a complaint this week.
    Thank you for the motivation to do something about it.
    dont ever use DSMMIAMI.com!!!
    they got me for 180.00

They sent the wrong wiring harness, and after months of waiting they never sent back the right one. Ebay doesnt back SH1T after 60 days.

(go look in the good guy bad guy section)

Stephen
    [I]Proofreading is of the the utmost impotence.[I]

Name
    Frank
    That is awesome that it worked out for you!

I had a similar experience with the local PD...
    I bought a wet nitrous kit on ebay for my old Honda and I paypaled the money to this kid, it was $425 (nice kit with a bunch of extras). Anyway after a few weeks nothing arrived and I just figured I had got scammed. So just like you I used the limited info I had, his name city and state and his ebay name. With that I put together some numbers from his ebay name with a address from a person with the same last name. Called, it was his Grandpa and the scammer lived above the garage so said the old man. Anyway, I took all this info (his full name, address, grandpas phone number, local pd jurisdiction info, local pd numbers and receipts/emails documenting it all) to the Winter Springs PD. They assigned a investigator that made some calls to him and the local PD. A week later I had a money order for my money back and had to sign some papers at the W.S. P.D. to release him of any responsibility. They really helped out! First time ever! I must conclude that if I would not have done the initial investigative work I would not have had any thing for them to help me with.
    DSMLink V3
    11.3 @ 134
    Just another Jose Build!
    Want to go 145mph on street tires.

TheCerealKiller
    damn, i wish i would have known about this years ago, i got scammed hard out of some things via ebay and couldnt do a thing about it (because i didnt know i could)
    Good look bro, and thanks for the tip and link.

Name
    Stephen R. Concannon JR
    well, i finally filed my complaint with IC3.gov
    fingers crossed!

Name
    Stephen R. Concannon JR
    ok, after over a year of not getting any response from any of the DSMMIAMI.com email addresses I decided to contact the internet crimes division. They got back with me in less then two weeks. A few days later i got an email from "the old owner" of dsmMiami.com... and he now wants to refund my money :-D

The ic3 gets $hit done.

A BIG thank you goes out to Daenan for starting this one...

-Stephen

Name
    Frank
    THAT IS SWEET!!!! I hope someone filed a report on Rufo... There is plenty of proof.
    DSMLink V3
    11.3 @ 134
    Just another Jose Build!
    Want to go 145mph on street tires.

Back in ACTION!!!!! MiniTrucker's Avatar
    Name
    Matthew Ellison Sr.
    Quote Originally Posted by newdsmman View Post
    THAT IS SWEET!!!! I hope someone filed a report on Rufo... There is plenty of proof.
    newdsmman you beat me to it. people roast that guy .
    http://www.dsmregistry.com/251

Add clever signature here........

Name
    Stephen R. Concannon JR
    The ic3 contact's your local Consumer Services Department (Orange County's web address is http://www.orangecountyfl.net/cms/DE...ud/default.htm)
    they then send you a letter to let you know they received the complaint and they make the appropriate actions to retrieve your money.

I hope rufo gets his.

Name
    Mark
    Just kinda updating this, I filed a complaint with them and it was submitted 7/29/07. Its been awhile, am I sh*t out of luck here? It was on ebay and paypal only got half my money, the other $200 I don't have...

Name
    Stephen R. Concannon JR
    Hmmm

They called me, so I don't know what to tell you. Actually, Miami PD contacted me after they got a hold of the owner of DSMMiami.com to tell me that the he agreed to pay me back. I had the funds in my account two days later (the 100.00 overcharge of shipping was not refunded)

Name
    Stephen R. Concannon JR
    I did a little foot work in case you have not looked throught the FAQ section. http://www.ic3.gov/faq/Default.aspx#item2

Quote Originally Posted by www,ic3.gov
    Q: When will I be updated on the status of the investigation of my complaint?
    After you file a complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3), the information is reviewed by an analyst and forwarded to federal, state, local, or international law enforcement or regulatory agencies with jurisdiction. The IC3 does not conduct investigations and, therefore, is not able to provide the investigative status of a previously filed complaint. It is the IC3's intention to review every complaint and refer them to law enforcement and regulatory agencies having jurisdiction; however, investigation and prosecution is at the discretion of the receiving agencies.
    Quote Originally Posted by www,ic3.gov
    Q: Will I be informed that my complaint was received successfully?
    Once you file a complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center, you will receive an email confirming receipt of your complaint which contains your complaint id and password. In the event you did not receive this confirmation, please contact us.

Name
    kevin moczo
    this is sweet
    1990 awd talon
    1996 ford explorer daily

Name
    JP
    Awesome... Nice to know you have some recourse when dealing with the scammers.

Name
    Mark
    Still have heard nothing to this day, so I guess I am S.O.L.

Name
    Stephen R. Concannon JR
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthtt24 View Post
    Still have heard nothing to this day, so I guess I am S.O.L.
    Damn, that is crazy. Even if you didn't have enough evidence, you would think that they would drop you an email telling you something.

They guy that stopped answering my emails and calls was actually trying to restart the business around the same time I filed, so maybe that had something to do with the positive outcome. In otherwords, if the person doesn't give a shit, the extra heat might not effect the situation.

Sorry to hear that.

Banned User
    Name
    vikisangre
    good to tell us to respond criminal activities

Thread Information